Saturday, August 10, 2013

9 Family Road Trip "Must Haves"

I'm here. My brain, much like our life, is scattered all over the place. So rather than fight the tide and try to formulate a coherent post, I'm just going to just let my thoughts fly where they may. Maybe it'll help to get some of them out of the way.

1) How come in the movies, when parents are putting kids to bed, the kids lay there peacefully and have some sort of heartfelt conversation with their parents, followed by a sweet parental "Okay, time for sleep now, Sport," after which the kids smile sweetly, roll over, and close their eyes? How come the kids aren't whining, begging, crying, pouting, stalling, dawdling, negotiating, bickering, freaking out, or bouncing off the walls?

2) The Midwest is very green.

3) Chicago traffic sucks. I'd gotten quite used to it, to the point where it had become normal to me, but coming back here I realize how much it sucks.

4) I need a secretary to organize all of our kids' social engagements during the three weeks we're back here. So much for the idea of the unsocialized homeschooler. Sheesh.

5) I get to go on a writing retreat with my friend, P-Diddles, this weekend. We've been wanting to do it since we met eight years ago. So excited.

6) I've been reading a lot about race lately, partially because of this post I wrote recently, and partially because of a piece I'm working on for Brilliant Star. Man, race is a tricky subject.

7) Speaking of which, want to hear something interesting? Which three states would you guess have the highest numbers of interracial marriages between blacks and whites?

8) You'll never guess.

9) Virginia, North Carolina, and Kansas. Told you you'd never guess. Interesting, no?

10) Speaking of states, we may end up skipping Florida and spend March and April in South Carolina instead. Long story, but the gist is that if we end up moving long distance after our trip, we're going to need the money we'd spend at Disney World for the rental truck. Rental trucks to move cross-country cost the equivalent of a family of five going to Disney World for a week. I'm not sure which side of that is more shocking.

11) I've not taken a single photo since we got to Chicagoland. I must need a break.

12) I forgot how much I love "Family Fun" magazine. I got one in the mail and was so excited. I already found a couple of ideas I want to implement when we actually have a home.

Seriously, about #1. Bedtime has been extra special here lately. I think we need to try something new. What are your bedtime secrets?

(By the way, we had long stretch when bedtime was a breeze, when the girls were about 3 and 7. Like, crazy easy. People were amazed. I was even amazed. My "secrets" then weren't that different than what we do now, except they went to bed at 7:00. Oh, how I wish they could still go to bed at 7:00! Just looking for some new ideas, so hit me with what you've got.)

1 comment:

  1. Wish I had some bedtime wisdom to share! My only little (so far!) is 11 months old. Sometimes bedtime/naps are easy. Sometimes they're not. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete